We have eaten a LOT of zucchini this summer. A LOT! As quick as I cook them up, there are more to pick. I have had to come up with some new ideas so we didn’t get bored eating the same old thing.
Our fall back recipe has always been Zucchini Slice. It is good for a light lunch or dinner with a bit of salad. I have also included a recipe for Zucchini Cake and a Stuffed Zucchini.
375 grams zucchini, grated
1 large onion, diced
250 grams bacon, diced
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup SR Flour
1/2 cup oil
5 eggs, beaten
Salt & pepper
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees
2. Combine all of the ingredients, mix well and pour into a greased and lined lamington tin
3. Bake for about 45 mins or until slightly brown
Zucchini Cake with Lemon Icing
1 cup plain flour
150 grams caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
250 grams zucchini, grated
100 grams walnuts, coarsely chopped
200 grams sultanas
75 grams pecans, coarsely chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup olive oil
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line either 20 cm round tin or loaf tin 10 cm x 21 cm.
2. Sift first five ingredients into a large bowl. Add next four ingredients. Combine eggs, vanilla and oil and stir into dry ingredients. Bake for about an hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
3. To make lemon icing (which is delicious on this cake) combine 1 cup of pure icing sugar (sifted), 1 teaspoon lemon rind (finely grated) and 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice. Ice the cake once it has cooled.
1 large zucchini (the one that got overlooked in the garden)
1 Tsp garlic, minced
1/2 Tsp chilli, , minced (or more if you like a bit more spice)
500 grams beef mince
1 cup cooked basmati rice
1 large onion, diced
4 Tblsp parsley, chopped
2 Tblsp dill, chopped
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
32o ml passata
2/3 cup water
Greek yoghurt to serve
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees. To prepare the zucchini, cut in half length ways (the one I used weighed about 700 grams). Scoop out the guts (the chooks or the pigs will eat them) leaving about 1 cm all the way around. Place on a foiled tray and then cover with foil. Place in the oven for about 25 to 30 mins or until just tender.
2. To prepare the beef mixture, brown mince and onion. Add garlic and chilli and cook for a further two minutes. Add all other ingredients except parmesan cheese and yoghurt. Bring to boil and then allow to simmer until slightly reduced. Stir in rice.
3. Once zucchini is ready, fill with the beef mixture (I used half of the mixture and froze the rest). Top with parmesan cheese and place back in the oven. Bake until parmesan has melted and browned.
4. Slice into portions and serve with a dollop of greek yoghurt. This is a complete meal. Enjoy!
Do you have a fall back recipe for Zucchini? Or something new you have tried?
Mrs D x